Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Mind is a Powerful Thing


"Cogito, ergo sum"
René Descartes

This phrase simply means that if you're in doubt of your existence, that is in and of itself proof that you exist.
But for me, this phrase takes on another meaning.

Cogito, ergo sum.
I think, therefore I am.

The mind is a powerful thing. They say that we're only using 10% of our mind, but in another source, that is just a myth. We are in fact using 100% of our brain.
So with that in mind, let me ask you something:
How well are you using your brain?

I've met a lot of intelligent people in my life: those people that can answer just practically anything that you throw at them with sense. I've also met those geniuses who can answer math equations in a blink of an eye. There are also those people that I've met who have not been in the top 10 of the class or whatsoever, but they just exude that amazing level of confidence. Even if they don't know everything, they sound like they do.

Have you met these people?
Aren't they just amazing?
Don't you just wish that you possess that intelligence, confidence and wit?

The problem with people, in my opinion, is that we think about too many things. We worry about the minutest detail. We complain. A lot. When we're given a task, we say, "BUT that's hard! That's impossible. I can't do it!" And whenever that big boulder of a problem blocks our way, we mourn for days. Weeks. Months. Some would even resort to suicide. People just can't take it, right?

I am not saying that I will be the most optimistic person that you'll ever meet. But I'm really working hard on it. You see, most of our problems arise because we over-analyze things, we complain without even doing anything, we just go on with our life without trying.

The pattern is obvious.
You don't have to look close to see it.
It's all in the mind.

Cogito, ergo sum.
If I think that I am beautiful, then I am!
If I think that I will pass that test, I can!

Don't get me wrong. There is a boundary between being positive and being over-confident. Arrogance is another thing. I don't have to point out the difference between the two. You see it everyday on TV, the newspaper and hear it on the radio. Arrogance is an enemy.

So, why am I saying this?
What is my point?

I guess I believe that people can do so many things, unimaginably amazing things, if we just believe in it. The power of thoughts is so great. Do you remember what you Mom told you when you were sweating like crazy just before performing on stage, or saying something in front of hundreds of people, or simply when you're about to take a final exam?

Yes, you can do it.

Don't spend hours and days dwelling on those unhappy thoughts. Get up, breathe in and get the good things goin'. Positive thoughts will bring us to the right direction.

Stop complaining about your dog, the traffic, the garbage.
 Just do something.
Anything.

I used to be the pessimist and believe me, it didn't get me anywhere. When I started entertaining good thoughts and seeing the good in each one, I started to have fun.

When you feel the itch to backlash somebody, just don't.
It's not worth the energy.
If you want to be happy, be happy.
Happiness is a decision.


If streetchildren can find a reason to smile, so can you.
Just remember, if you think you can, you're probably right!